Monday, April 12, 2010

Meatless Monday - Tomato, brie & mustard tart.


Mondays always seem to roll around so fast... Bad because it means the weekend is over :( But good as I get to try a new recipe. I love to cook so trying new recipes is exciting! Today's was made really simple as I had a ready made pastry shell so I thought 'what the hell!'... I am a terrible pastry maker.. just terrible. You bake it for 10-12 minutes first empty. You are meant to blind bake it but soon as I had no beans etc.. to do that I just shoved it in.. It didn't rise too much! You smear the bottom with a tablespoon of whole grain mustard, some grated cheese and lay the sliced tomatoes. Lay the sliced brie on top and pour over 2 eggs whisked with salt, pepper and herbs. Bake for 35 mins at 375 degrees.

Yummy!!!

Mason (the little guy) is a super picky eater.. Once you shovel a few mouthfuls in him he usually eats it (once he has realized he has no choice), but if it's not pasta or mashed potatoes you get the usual whiny line 'I don't want that' or 'I don't like that'. But he loved supper tonight! I told him it was egg pie with cheese (not a complete lie). Super easy to prepare and fast! I used an extra egg as I thought it would be a little more appealing to the kids, but it took a lot longer to cook. I also found that there was a lot of juice from the tomatoes. Maybe it depend on what kid of tomatoes you use but we are limited in the grocery store here and I love the flavour of the ones on the vine so that's what I used! Anyways.. very yummy. Give it a try!

Next week: I don't know yet! Any suggestions??

5 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM!!! Maria, can I tell you that I was DROOLING when I read this post!?!?! It looks deeeeelish! I'm going to have to try this one.

Podder said...

Wow, that looks amazing Maria, it's wonderful to see the care you take finding and preparing meals for your family.
There's a good looking lasagne recipe in the new wine pairings booklet from the LCBO, I think I might try that one.....

Little Sis said...

Im thinking I need to come over and skip a Monday....I mean NO MEAT?!?! What about fish?? could I have a fish???

Unknown said...

Check out what I just posted for you!

Unknown said...

Thanks Perry.... And Nat when you come here you will be eating no meat on Mondays!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails