Monday, March 29, 2010

Meatless Monday - Falafel disaster......

This is our first Meatless Monday. Why are we doing it? Well 3 reasons really...

1.) To be healthier
2.) To reduce our carbon foot print
3.) To expand our horizons!



I first read about this organization in this months Macleans... Funnily enough it coincided with a lunch at Island Chill and new vegetarian eatery in Gore Bay. Now I don't consider myself narrow minded by any means... I have traveled all over the world and LOVE food, so I will try anything! (unless super spicy) I was amazed though when I went to Island Chill that I had no idea what to order on the menu... I had no idea what Tofu tastes like, or a hemp burger? I mean if I am in a restaurant and I have a choice between a hemp burger or an 8 oz steak.. I pick the steak! I felt really silly... I ended up having a Panini filled with home made roasted red pepper hummus, red onions, olives and feta and a bowl of the most amazing veggie barley soup. All tasted amazing, full of flavour and of course fresh yummy veggies! AND HOME MADE!! Doesn't get any better than that!

I decided for my first Meatless Monday to make Falafels. Should be easy right? Grind up the chick peas, fry them stick in pita bread with salad... tadaaaa!!! Not so much. So this is what I ended up with... sludge in the bottom of a pan filled with oil. I tried breading them because I thought maybe they were too wet and needed something to dry them out... (those are the ones with the more golden brown coating - still sludge in the middle) No luck. My cooking skills do not extend to bread or falafels. Luckily however I live across the street from the grocery store and I was determined not to give up on my first Meatless Monday!!!!

Blue Menu Veggie Lasagna it was!!! So I invite you to follow me on Mondays.. I am going to do a 'meatless' post and discover vegetarian cooking! I'll post my triumphs and disasters and I am determined to stick to it!! Even if it means more Blue Menu!!! I am also open to any great vegetarian recipes you may know of that I can give a whirl!

4 comments:

ontrack25 said...

I have a few good recipes for meatless meals. I did used to be a vegetarian :). I'll gather those up for you if you want and send them your way :)

bodaat said...

hmm, maybe fry them instead of bake them?

Podder said...

I'll do the tofu stir fry next week, and I'll make extra for you to try, I think the jambalya was likely too hot for your taste.

Unknown said...

Maria, I *might* join you on Meatless Mondays. We usually go meatless 3 times a week. I was vegetarian for 7 years...and then I married a beef farmer. HA!

Anyway, we eat vegetarian quite a bit and love it.

I've got a bunch of veg cookbooks if you want to come over sometime and have a look.

Sooooooo...I had no idea you made your falafel from SCRATCH!!! That is awesome. I commented on FB that I never had issues with making falafel, BUT I never made it from scratch before! LOL! I always bought the packaged falafel mix where you just add water, make into golf ball sized rounds and then fry them. Granted, frying them = not great for one's health, but they're so yummy! LOL!

Great! Now I feel like going to a Lebanese restaurant...not that there are any on the Island! LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails