Monday, March 15, 2010

One last post before bed...

I have to share something else yummy with you!! I just baked a warm gooey apple pie.... It's not for me though, a birthday treat for someone else! I never even liked apple pie before I met the Laing family at Cidermill Farms. They make the best pie ever and I am always trying to create it just the way they make it! It is piled high with apples and topped with a brown sugary crumble. I worked for the Laings on their farm, they are now my closest friends, family and I miss them like crazy. Whenever I visit I always say... 'I only came for the pie'. I stuff my face with it when I am there and make sure I bring some home too! (and I wonder why I am so fat!) I have two huge apple trees in my yard so I tried to pick, peel and cut as many apples as I could (before I got bored) to freeze so that I could make some pies. I always do this very ambitiously picking crates of apples which I then end up giving away as after peeling 2 Ziploc bags full I am kinda over it.

Apple pie the way I make it is really easy... I think the worst thing about making pie is fiddling with pastry. So buy the crust.. just get a frozen tenderflake at the grocery store. Next I pile in the apples with sugar, cinamon, fresh lemon juice and little flour and at this point I either freeze it or load it into the pie shell.

Crumble topping - super easy..... 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour & 1/3 cup butter. Pile on top! No fiddly pastry on top... see? super easy!!! and super yummy!!!


Bake and that's it! It's not quite a Laing pie... But it's as close as I am going to get until my next visit!!Ok now I am going to bed!! Goodnight!

3 comments:

just call me jo said...

How'd you keep all the juices from flowing out and the crumble crust so even. Mine always have areas that bubble up and burn or leak out. That looks beautiful.

Unknown said...

Because the juices flow out I bake it on a baking sheet, also on a piece of foil so that my oven and the baking sheet don't get wrecked.. I have done both!! I kind of pat down the crumble a bit round the edges, there are some areas where it has leaked out. I also make a foil 'hat' for it, just loosly cover it then take it off near the end so that the topping doesn't burn but just browns.... Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

YUM! I'm going to have to try this recipe for my husband. He's got a sweet tooth and LOVES pies of any sort! LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails