Sunday, March 15, 2009

Kids Fishing Derby 2009

Last year Hugh (my father-in-law) took Caleb to the kids fishing derby.... He decided that he would take him every year and that would be their 'thing' they do together. Saturday was beautiful, warm and sunny so he comes to pick him up loaded up with a trailer of fishing gear, ice shack, quad and off they go. Unfortunately they forgot fishing rods so I had to run out with them and we took the opportunity to take some pics and make a video of Caleb fishing.

Firstly I got to drive my car right onto and across the lake... VERY cool for a city girl that grew up in Dubai and has never experienced all these winter activities! So there is a picture of my car below on on the right of the photo you can see the causeway. Caleb was ok when we got there but then started crying and then realized it was because of the fish Annie (cousin) had caught. He went fishing last year and caught a fish so why he was scared this year I am not sure. But he was pretty sure the fish (which weighed in at 22 grams) was going to bite him. And everytime the fish moved.. he squealed! Now I have married into a family of hunters/fishers, so as you will hear Hugh remark on the video.. he will need to toughen up!!! Caleb also asked which you might hear if we could take the fish to the doctors... Sean missed that the first time but when we watched the video back boy did we laugh!! Despite his crying he did not want to go home and was easily pacified by a ride on the 4wheeler and went back to fishing once Mum and Dad were out of sight! He didn't catch anything else which was a shame as he set out to 'catch a big perch for supper'!!


Our vehicle on Lake Wosley

The offending fish...

8 comments:

bodaat said...

he is SO cute!! i loved the video and loved seeing you in it. :) you have a cue little accent there too. love ya lots Maria!

Unknown said...

I know he was so cute and Sean and I had to laugh! My Mum always says that Caleb is scared of his own shadow!

Unknown said...

That is so cool! I hear ya on the city girl thing, as I am one too! I find every day here on the Island is exciting because I learn something new.

Driving my car out on the ice though...I'd be scared! I remember the first time I went ice fishing last year, I was scared to death! I know the ice is super thick, but when you hear the sound of the ice shifting and crackling from the water underneath, it kind of makes you (or maybe just me!) get shivers down your spine! LOL!

Great pics. Looks like heaps of fun!

BTW, do you ever go to any of those moms and kids groups on the Island? I was thinking of heading to one of those sometime with Little One, but I'm not sure if she's still a bit too young.

Unknown said...

P.S. ADORABLE video! Caleb is so cute!

Unknown said...

The only play group I go to is on a Tuesday at the Lyons Memorial Hall in Gore Bay. I have every other Tuesday off work so I try and take the boys. It is run by the Manitoulin Toy Library (I think?)and I believe they also go to Little Current, Mindemoya and I am sure a few other places on the Island... you should call and find out... in Gore Bay there are lots of babies that go and they put down soft mats for them to lay on and have toys for all ages... It is good to meet other Mummmys and share baby stories!

Unknown said...

The only play group I go to is on a Tuesday at the Lyons Memorial Hall in Gore Bay. I have every other Tuesday off work so I try and take the boys. It is run by the Manitoulin Toy Library (I think?)and I believe they also go to Little Current, Mindemoya and I am sure a few other places on the Island... you should call and find out... in Gore Bay there are lots of babies that go and they put down soft mats for them to lay on and have toys for all ages... It is good to meet other Mummmys and share baby stories!

Anonymous said...

Okay, Caleb obviously is not scared he just has a big heart and a great love for all creatures ... perhaps he can come stay with me during hunting season and we can be traumatized together!!!

That poor fishy!

Unknown said...

Done next hunting season he is all yours!!! I hope you know what you have signed up for :) hehehe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails