Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Best present ever!


My friend Audrey got me a composter for Xmas. Let me tell you I am very excited about this! It's a cute little stainless steel bucket that sits on my counter, when I opened it I thought it was an ice bucket!! (sigh-eyes rolling..) There is a small green cone composter in the garden. Now this is all new to me but as I am trying really hard to not only be greener but be an avid gardener that has wonderful flower beds and grows fresh vegetables I thought I would give it a go. Note to you: I am a horrible gardener but I try REALLY hard every year and put my self through the money and expense to produce, well nothing really, everything dies.. Luckily I have a thoughtful friend who not only got me a composter but a handy book to tell you how to do it!

Now that I compost and all the paper/burnable stuff goes in the fireplace.. wow am I every shocked at how much less garbage we are dragging to the dump every week! We would have to go twice a week now if we skip a week it's not a big deal! Due to the climate we are living in it seems that there is not really too much composting going on right now as everything appears to be frozen so it seems I will have some more figuring out to do once the ground thaws and the sun reappears with some warmth! Who thought I would be so excited about a composter???

6 comments:

bodaat said...

ooooh, good for you! this is somethng that i'd like to eventually do as well although i'm wary that our dogs will end up eating it all and getting tummy upsets. we'll see though...

Anonymous said...

Garbage goes to the dump? ... I must tell Norm... judging by the pile we are currently amassing, he must not know! (TeeHee)

When you figure out the composting, let me know. We have a black one in our yard...I keep throwing stuff in but I don't take anything out (I am vaguely aware I am supposed to)and this seems to be just fine...as yet it is keeping up with me!

Note to Bodaat ... The dogs ... pretty much stay away from it since it's only organic stuff ... no fat or greasy good stuff that would normally attract them.

Unknown said...

I just keep throwing stuff in to... I think you have to get some earth worms to put in it...

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!!! Composters are amazing, aren't they? I used to do vermicomposting when I was still living in the city. A friend of mine on the Island and I are going to try to start vermicomposting here. I'd like to get back into it. The compost is so rich and great for the plants and gardens!

Unknown said...

P.S. The worms we use for the vermicomposting are Red Wigglers. They're amazing little critters!

Unknown said...

Vermicomposting? Now you are getting a little too technical for me!! I just throw stuff in a bucket and dump it in the green cone.. that is as far as I have got!!! I guess I will have to read the book a little more!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails